Wednesday 8 December 2010

(Non) Anonymous portraits - Paris: July 2010

I still preferred black and white, and also didn't know at all my new camera. I knew absolutely nothing about photography, never studied it from a practical side, never tried analog cameras. Nothing but studied its history from an art historian point of view. I always prefer to say I'm an art enjoyer, I think it's fairer for me.

Discovering Paris last summer was a surprise for my photography. In one hand, I was on a trip there with a couple of friends, so I could work on portraits of the real life of people I know. In the other one, I took the chance of photographing every single person that attracted my attention. As I had no previous experience on photography I had no doubt on trusting before my eyes instead of my hands, as I still haven't learnt it all about my camera. That's why my eyes only thought about composition, and on the "punctum" on which Barthes talks about. Recognising the different 'puncta' (as in plural) for my eyes was the easier thing, as I didn't feel forced to it, just saw them, and one, two, three, punctum. Shot. 

I spent seven days in Paris, and took aproximately 200 photographs per day. 










No comments:

Post a Comment